Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fire at Camp

The Salvation Army Camp, just north of Montreal, that I attended as a kid, while my parents ran the show, then as a camper, then as a lifeguard and last summer completing the circle of life, with my wife and kids, has had a major fire.

I can remember staying there from about age 4. Now Darcy has those same memories. I know that ground like my own backyard. The Titcombe's have been a main stay name there for a long time. In fact my Dad was a lifeguard there, then my sister, older brother, then me, then my younger brother. I'm not sure what they would have done for about ten years if we hadn't been on the beach!

It's still WAY too early to know what happened, or what will happen this summer. One article speculates at arson. The video mentions electrical faults and accidental ignition. Nothing has been confirmed. My source tells me that the power was shut off.

Here's a photo as it should be remembered:

Basically, everything to the left of the middle chimney is gone. That was the kitchen, staff area and food storage. To the right of the middle chimney is the dining area, it sounds like there is some damage, but it's too early to tell if anything is salvageable.

Here's what it looks like now.