Sunday, March 19, 2006

Race Day

Not a good race. I ran at a good pace, but couldn't get warm. There was a cross wind and my fingers and nose didn't get warm until 4.5 km. I had some serious side stitches from 4 km on. I just never felt that race instinct. I wanted to catch some of my pacers, but just couldn't make the move. I've still not found a good way to eat when running in the morning, today I had a bagel w/cream cheese & a banana, 2 hours before running. My gut just got worse as the race went on. I was happy with my time, but I wish it had been a better run.

Some things I noticed: The guy who was lined up beside me with a DOUBLE jogging stroller got behind because of the mass start, but then blew by me around the 1 km mark.

A kid who was less than 11 passed me after the turnaround and I could barely keep up. He finished two spots ahead of me. While we were in the finishing chute, I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "Hey man, you were awesome." He was kind of shy about it, but the girl who finished right in front of me said so too.

The winner went sub-15 minutes. Holy crap.

My co-worker Jake had a great race. He took off like a bullet and I knew that there was no way I was going to keep up with him today. He finished 56th overall and 9th of 32 in our age group. His time was 20:35.

I finished 87th out of 395, 15 of 32 in my age group. My time was 21:54. The results are posted here.

No comments: