Friday, June 09, 2006

Speed work - mile repeats

Last night I did my speed work out for the week. Scheduled was 3 x 1600 @ 6:36 pace, with 2 minute recoveries in between. That's really fast for me. I knew I'd be able to do the first one, I knew I could probably struggle through the second one, and then I hoped to be able to suck it up and gut out the third one.

About a mile away from our place is the old Ford Test Track, a paved track that is a mile loop, so I ran there. Locals tell me that it hasn't been used since the 50's as an actual test track and since I've been here the city has re-developed the soccer fields and baseball diamonds on the infield. A lot of people ride their bikes, walk their dogs or just walk there. It's a really nice place to run and I'll go there for bike rides too, to avoid traffic.

My repeats went like this:
6:15 - too fast, but I gained some confidence knowing that I could run slower and still meet my goal.
6:35 - perfect.
6:33 - it hurt. The last 1/2 mile or so I got some pretty decent side stitches. I had to keep telling myself that it'd be over soon, just keep running. I was very happy with how it went. That's my hardest workout for a few weeks, so I'm glad to know that I'll be able to do what's ahead of me.

The only thing about running at FTT that bugs me is the people who are walking their dogs. First, at most entry points there are "doggy doo" bags. But I saw a few people letting their dogs fertilize the grass. Secondly, people who don't keep their dogs on leashes and let them chase you when you run past. And thirdly, people who have their dogs on leashes, but still let their dogs chase you. On my last lap, I came up on a mother and daughter walking their pug. They saw me coming and kept the dog close to them, I passed them wide, but the dog came over to take a look. When I looked back, the dog was right on my heels for about 20 feet or so. I guess until the extendable leash ran out. I know that this dog wouldn't have done any damage to me, but having a dog nip at your heels, isn't the most comfortable feeling ever. I'm not a dog owner, but isn't there some sort of etiquette about not letting your dog potentially bite someone?

Just my two cents.

No comments: