Friday, May 26, 2006

Combining Workouts

This week my schedule had a speed workout yesterday and I have a tempo run tomorrow. I've had to do some training for work this week, so I wasn't able to run yesterday and won't be able to tomorrow either. So tonight, I combined my workouts.

I started with the tempo run, just 3 miles. My target pace was 7:35-7:40 per mile, I finished at 7:34 per mile. It was a terrible start. It felt like my legs were made of lead, it took about the first mile to get into it. So sore and tight all over. I guess I've been on my feet a lot at work and I was really feeling it in the first bit. But by mile 2, things were feeling good and the pace was very steady. Overall, this started out as a bad run, but turned into a very good one.

After I was done, I headed over to the high school track a block away. My speed workout was 4 x 400 at a target pace of 91 seconds per 400 or 6:04 mile pace, with 2 minute recoveries in between intervals. I was a little unsure how fast I'd be able to go, with tired legs and having just done 3 miles at tempo, but it was only 4 x 400's, if I can't suck THAT up, what good am I? My intervals were: 92, 89, 92 & 92 or a 6:05 mile. Bingo! I was very happy with that. Not to say that I wasn't working hard on the third and forth intervals, but I did what I set out to do.

A day off training tomorrow and a long ride on Sunday. Hopefully this week I'll be able to bike farther than I ran.

1 comment:

Born To Endure said...

7:34 mm...wow..great for you..speedy pants!!!